Top Ten Tuesday | 13 Books that Inspire Smiles
A wise woman once said it was a pity she couldn’t laugh at a remark made during a sparring match for she “dearly love(s) to laugh.” This woman was Elizabeth Bennet.
They say laughter is good for the soul. And like the spirited heroine, Lizzie Bennet, I also enjoy laughter and do in fact giggle my way through many a comedic film or a novel that, for whatever reason, tickles my funny bone. Books don’t seem to earn the same kind of laugh-out-loud moments in me that films do (again, there’s my being-a-visual-story-person quirk showing), but I have met with some delightful novels that, if not giggle-inducing, certainly leave me grinning silly.
Broke and Bookish April 19th Topic
Ten Books That Will Make You Laugh (or at least chuckle)
I’m not a difficult book nerd to please. Perhaps I should be, but I’m not. Give me a happy ending and for me, that’s enough to inspire a smile or two.
Of the ten (actually thirteen!) novels listed below, I find myself wanting to pick up many of them again because of the happy times I spent inside their magnificent pages. Though some of these books might not be popular picks among their peers, this in no way diminishes what they bring to the world of fiction. It’s vast and smart and in its own way, beautiful.
With that said, let’s have a look at today’s Finding Wonderland picks!
1. The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne, Contemporary Romance | This one is no stranger to Finding Wonderland… but I thought it was too good not to mention on this week’s topic. Why? Because this is a British novel (both the locale and author) and a hero who not only has a British accent, but wears a crown. Because of the whole British theme, this has a fabulous sense of humor because of the location. The author knows how to get the best out of her characters witty quips. Amazon | Goodreads
2. The Trouble with Tulip by Mindy Starns Clark, Chick Lit | It’s been years since I read this chick lit novel, and yes, I know I’ve featured it recently. But if memory serves, this is one of the most hilarious novels I’ve read in the ten plus years that I’ve been an avid contemporary reader. Amazon | Goodreads
3. Not in the Script by Amy Finnegan, YA Contemporary | Light, fluffy YA romcom bliss was this “If Only” series companion novel. So much sweetness – not to mention being a novel I could definitely re-read! Amazon | Goodreads
4. Bittersweet by Cathy Marie Hake, Inspirational Historical | It's been forever and a day since I read this one, but I seem to remember it was hilarious. Plus, any book with a pig on the cover has to have quite the story to tell, right!? Amazon | Goodreads
5. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins, YA Fantasy | I have to admit, this novel has a hilarious sense of humor - something that carries throughout its pages. Amazon | Goodreads
6. Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones, Inspirational Contemporary Romance | There’s no better novelist than Jenny B. Jones when it comes to laugh-out-loud humor. This is one of my favorites! Amazon | Goodreads
7. Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, YA Contemporary | This novel also has a serious side to it, but I also seem to recall enjoying its “funnier” side a great deal. Amazon | Goodreads
What are some of the books that have made you laugh silly or brought a happy smile to your face?
I’m always in the mood for a laugh-out-loud read (because who doesn’t love to laugh!?), so comment down below with some of your favorites! I’d love to read about them and visit your blog if you joined the Top Ten Tuesday meme - or even if you didn't. Always great to meet new bloggers and readers.
Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.