Top Ten Tuesday | At the Movies (aka 14 Films Recently Added to my Library)
Today marries two of my favorite blogging topics: books and films. The former is represented because the meme today is none other than Top Ten Tuesday, which as we all know is famously known for its bookish topics. Films being the latter topic is an acceptable topic this week thanks to the official prompt.
Broke and Bookish November 15th
top ten all-time favorite movies, top ten foreign films, top ten rom-coms, top ten 90's movies, top ten action flicks, top ten tear-jerkers, top ten movies your favorite actor/actress is in, top ten movies with PoC leads, etc.
– Broke and Bookish
Of course, this week we could have spun this any which way. But I decided, for giggles, to spin it as a kind of “recently added to the queue” type list. For a while I was going to do chick flicks because I proudly own several of those. Then I decided, no, how about favorite period dramas? After all that was a list begging to be created. But then I realized that wasn’t best suited either since I’ve made two videos in which I fangirl over favorite period dramas. (Going live... you know, someday.)
FINDING WONDERLAND ON BOOKTUBE
These dilemmas all went into the process of creating today’s list. So, down below are some of the recent films that have found a spot in my film library – the number totaling 14 rather than a mere 10. Some I’ve seen and adored. Others I had so-so reactions to, and others still, I’ve yet to watch. But best of all, going in this direction, allows for a wide array of genres.
So consider this your "admit one" ticket and let’s visit the glitz and glamour of cinema.
1. Alice Through the Looking Glass | If possible, I think I like this film better than the first from six years prior. Tim Burton returns to the director’s chair as does the primary cast. In short, this is an ideal piece of adventurous crazy for Burton to direct.
FILM REVIEW | ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS (2016) – ANOTHER TIM BURTON CLASSIC WITH A SURPRISING CAMEO
2. Ghostbusters | This is one I didn’t much care about early on, but when it came time for the DVD release, I decided I’d give it a shot. Turns out it was worth it; a fun way to spend a Saturday night in - there was plenty of laughter.
3. The Huntsman, Winter’s War | My mom and I went to see this one in the theater after seeing Snow White and the Huntsman in theaters. It was well worth the trip. The production quality was elegant, and not without its unique bits of humor.
4. Jericho | One of the best period dramas I’ve seen in a great while. The romance, the sets, the acting, everything is superb and equal to its competitors.
5. Kate and Leopold | I have had this one for a while now, but up until a month or two ago (if you can believe this), I’d never seen this contemporary fairy tale.
6. The Legend of Tarzan | Though there is some breath-catching adventure and the entire piece is really one adventure after another, this film is, surprisingly, very conscious of the character arcs. The romance is stunning, too, which makes this all the more attractive.
7. Mother’s Day | I know, I know. This one will earn some eye rolls. *smile* But if watched with no greater expectations than silly entertainment, it's actually fun. Or this is what I found.
8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 | Super cute and plenty of nostalgia, it’s fun to catch up with this lovable family.
9. The Mystery of a Hansom Cab | An Australian mystery drama, this is a lovely period drama film that is sure to entertaining British costume drama aficionados.
10. Now You See Me 2 | Since I watched Now You See Me, seeing this one is only logical. Though I’ve not watched it just yet, but I am looking forward to it.
11. Not Another Happy Ending | I’ve had this one a while too, but it’s unusual and one I wanted to include because of its zany nature. Plus it stars Karen Gillan of Doctor Who fame!
12. The Peanuts Movie | Though I’ve had this one sitting around for a while, I’ve not put it in the DVD player. Why I don’t know since once in a while, a cute animated flick is always a must.
13. X-Men, Apocalypse | Despite loving this franchise, I cannot wait to watch this latest installment in the X-Men series.
Which movies did you list today? What genre did you decide to list? Have you seen any of these or tell me, what new films do you recommend?
Comment down below with your thoughts on these or any other film or book related opinions – and as always, leave your Top Ten Tuesday links! I’d love to visit.
Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.